Marihuana Information

Frequently Asked Questions

When did the City decide to permit marihuana facilities?
The City Commission adopted ordinances to permit both Medical and Recreational (Adult Use) Marihuana businesses in the City of Big Rapids at their regular meeting on October 7, 2019.

Where is the application to apply for a Municipal Marihuana Operating Permit in the City of Big Rapids?
Applications for Municipal Marihuana Operating Permits can be found on the Marihuana Information page. The Application has two phases; please see the Application Overview for more information.

How many permits will be available?
The City has not set a limit on the number of available marihuana facility licenses for the following marihuana business types: Grower, Excess Grower, Processor, Secure Transporter, Retailer/Provisioning Center, Safety Compliance Facility, and Microbusiness.  Designated Marihuana Consumption Establishments are prohibited. Please see Ordinance No. 749-10-19 Section 116.113 for Medical Marihuana Facilities and Ordinance No. 751-10-19 Section 116.210-116.211 for Recreational/Adult Use Marihuana Facilities. 

In which zoning districts will marihuana businesses be permitted? Is there a Marihuana Overlay Zone?
Marihuana Retailers/Provisioning Centers, Safety Compliance Facilities, and Microbusinesses may locate in the C-1, C-2, and C-3 Commercial Districts as a principal use. Marihuana Growers, Excess Growers, Processors, Safety Compliance Facilities, and Secure Transporters may locate in the Industrial District with a Special Land Use Permit. There is no further Marihuana Overlay Zone.

What are the setback requirements for marihuana facility locations?
Marihuana facilities will not be allowed within 500 feet of a K-12 School, public or private, when measured in a straight line from property line to property line, or within 400 feet of the MOISD Facility at 220 S Michigan Ave.  No additional setbacks are required.

What is the required distance between marihuana facilities?
There is no setback requirement between marihuana facilities locations. 

Do we need to have a Medical Permit to have an Adult Use Permit?
No. In the City of Big Rapids a business could have just a Medical Permit, just an Adult Use Permit, or both a Medical and Adult Use Permit.