Income Tax Administrator - Paula Weipert
Income Tax Specialist - Mercedes Anderson
Please Note: The City of Big Rapids does not accept tax returns that are filed electronically.
Print your Big Rapids return, attach all required additional documents (W-2's, 1099's, Page 1 & 2 of the Federal Return, any Federal Schedules, etc.), sign and date the return, and mail it to one of the addresses listed below.
- Filing Date: your return must be filed (and all taxes paid) by April 30 of the current year.
- Remittance: make payable to CITY OF BIG RAPIDS.
- Mailing Address: mail return and remittance with appropriate wage and tax statements to:
|City of Big Rapids
Income Tax Department
226 N Michigan Ave
Big Rapids, MI 49307
The mission of the City Income Tax Office is to collect the city income tax efficiently
and equitably within the limits of the city income tax ordinance.
The City Income Tax Department is part of the Office of the City Treasurer.
The Income Tax Administrator performs the following duties:
- Individual Returns: audits individual income tax returns; issues refunds or assessments as required.
- Withholding Tax: supervises the withholding accounts of employers.
- Corporation Tax: administers income tax for corporations; audits their returns.
- Customer Service: assists customers and performs special audits.
City Income Taxes are generated by a flat 1.0% rate applied to the income of City residents, and businesses.
Non-residents working in the City pay 0.5%.
Few adjustments to gross income are allowed in computing the tax.
Income taxes account for 24% of general fund revenues.
To find if an address is in the Big Rapids city limits Click Here.
To view our resident street listing (2022) Click Here.
For information on free AARP tax preparation in your area please Click Here.
For information on free filing provided by the Taxpayer Advocate Service please Click Here.
For information on Free File to prepare and file your federal individual income tax return for free
using tax-preparation-and-filing software please Click Here.
For information on tax return preparers near you or to determine the type of credentials or qualifications held by a specific tax professional, Click Here. This is a list of preparers who currently hold professional credentials recognized by the IRS or who hold an Annual Filing Season Program Record of Completion.