Income Tax Office
Thomas Paul - Income Tax Administrator
Paula Weipert - Administrative Assistant
Income Tax Processing Center - (231)287-5644
Please Note: The City of Big Rapids does not accept tax returns that are filed electronically. Regardless of what software/online tax program you may use to prepare your federal and state returns, you cannot electronically file a Big Rapids return. You must print your Big Rapids return, attach all required additional documents (W-2's, 1099's, Page 1 & 2 of the Federal Return, any Federal Schedules, etc.), sign and date the return, and mail it to the correct address.
The mission of the City Income Tax Office is to collect the city income tax efficiently and equitably within the limits of the city income tax ordinance.
The City Income Tax Office is part of the Office of the City Treasurer. The Income Tax Administrator performs the following duties:
- Individual Returns: Audits individual income tax returns and issues refunds or assessments as required.
- Withholding Tax: Supervises the withholding accounts of employers.
- Corporation Tax: Administers income tax for corporations; audits their returns.
- Customer Service: Assists customers and performs special audits.
City Income Taxes are generated by a flat 1.0% rate applied to the income of City residents, and businesses. Non-residents working in the City pay 0.5%. Few adjustments to gross income are allowed in computing the tax. Income taxes account for 24% of general fund revenues.
- Filing Date: Your return must be filed (and all taxes paid) by April 30 of the current year.
- Remittance: Make remittance payable to CITY OF BIG RAPIDS.
- Mailing Address: Mail return and remittance with appropriate wage and tax statements to:
If you are looking to find if an address is in the Big Rapids city limits Click Here to use the City's Assessment and Property Tax Search, it's free! Or Click Here to view our resident street listing.
For information on free AARP tax preparation in your area please Click Here.
For information on free filing provided by the Taxpayer Advocate Service please Click Here.
For information on Free File, where you can prepare and file your federal individual income tax return for free using tax-preparation-and-filing software please Click Here.
For information on tax return preparers near you or to determine the type of credentials or qualifications held by a specific tax professional, Click Here. This is a list of preparers who currently hold professional credentials recognized by the IRS or who hold an Annual Filing Season Program Record of Completion.